Friday 22 April 2016

Back in Yangon

Events of Wednesday, 20th April 2016

In earlier posts, I've described three hectic days in Mon State. At the end of the third day, we took the overnight bus back to Yangon, where I again stayed at the Doctor's house.

Events of Thursday, 21st April 2016

The Doctor prescribed a day of recovery for me (it has been awfully hot) and, for once, I was happy to comply. But I did manage to try out Yangon's new electric tram - there's a brief report here.

Tram TCE 3001 at the Lansdown (Eastern) terminus).

Events of Friday, 22nd April 2016

Early on Friday, Doctor Hla Tun left early to fly to Bagan Medical Clinic for the usual three days of consultations. On this occasion, I did not accompany him as the following day, I had arranged to spend a few days on a sailing boat. However, we had discovered that Aung Ko Latt (from Ko Dut in Mon State) had travelled to Yangon, so the Doctor had arranged for him to meet me.

Aung and I made a clockwise trip on the Circle Line together. No doubt a technical review will appear at some stage - The technical review can be found here.


The second-hand, Japanese-built Diesel Multiple Unit on which Aung and I made our Circle Line Trip.

On the way back to the Doctor's house, we made a stop at the Taw Winn Shopping Centre so that I could indulge my taste for reprinted old books about Burma written by the English.

I said 'good-bye' to Aung and prepared for another early start the following day, Saturday, 23rd April, when I was to fly south to Kawthaung to see a little of the far south of Burma.

Related posts

Next post describing this trip.

All my posts on this trip can be found here.

My pictures

Pictures of Yangon's new tram system are here.
Pictures of my trip on the Circle Line with Aung are here.

All my pictures on this trip are here.

[Link to Circle Line Pictures added 7-May-2016: Link to tram pictures added 11-May-2016: Link to technical review added 29-May-2016]