Sunday 14 February 2010

Traffic Movements at Sedgeley Junction 1962-1963 (Part 1)

There are earlier posts about Sedgeley Junction:-
14-Feb-2008
19-Jun-2009

We're attempting to reconstruct events over 47 years ago, so personal memory is a rather unreliable guide.

Working Time Tables of the period are a valuable starting point and there's some information linked to a post on Railway Working Time Tables.

Completed signal box Train Register books can give a mass of information but I have none. What I did have back then was my own Train Register book in which I copied the details from the official Train Register each time I was unofficially working the box. The 'Remarks' column would have explanatory notes to clarify what was going on. Tragically, this book is missing.

I also had a series of notebooks in which I would write more detailed explanations of the movements. Spurred by the interest of my friend Phil, I've recently located one of these notebooks (written with a fountain pen), covering my visits to Sedgeley Junction between December 1962 and June 1963. The notes frequently refer to times in the Train Register (which we don't have) so interpreting these notes is not straightforward but, putting together the Working Time Table pages and these notes, we'll get a better picture of events.

A major contribution has been made by Mike Hollick, who had already produced a 'Sedgeley Junction WTT Simplifier' for the period of interest. He has kindly given permission for this to be incorporated in the work.

So, all I have to do now is transcribe the notebook and write an intelligible description of the movements. Watch this space.

You can find all my posts describing Traffic Movements on the South Stafford Line and the Stour Valley Line in the steam era here.

[Link to all 'Traffic Movements' posts added 10-Nov-2015]